We Are What We Eat – Gluten-Free On the Menu
Posted: Monday 22, 2016
Running a food business in an ever increasing health oriented society brings additional challenges with itself. It is essential to keep track of food trends, look at your menu from time to time and make necessary changes. As more and more consumers are choosing the healthy route, gluten-free products are becoming a rage. Here are a few recipes with gluten free ingredients like quinoa which could appeal to your health conscious guests.
Cranberry-Almond Quinoa Salad
Preparation Time: 25 min
Olive oil - 1/4 cup
Fresh lemon juice - 3 1/2 teaspoons
Honey - 1/2 teaspoon
Kosher salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Ground black pepper - 1/8 teaspoon
Dried cranberries - 1/2 cup
Quinoa - 1 cup, uncooked
Scallions - 1 cup, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
Blanched almonds - 3/4 cup, sliced
Fresh mint leaves - 3 tablespoons, cut into chiffonade
Method of Preparation:
For the dressing:
1. Take a small bowl and whisk oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper together. Set this aside. For the salad:
2. Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
3. Place the cranberries in a small bowl. Then, remove ½ cup boiling water from the pan and pour it over the cranberries.
4. Pour the quinoa into the pot with the remaining boiling water. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the quinoa for 12-15 minutes. The water should get soaked up.
5. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl.
6. Drain the cranberries and scatter them over the quinoa.
7. Add the scallions, almonds and vinaigrette.
8. Fold everything in well.
9. Add the mint and serve. You can also chill overnight is you wish.
Preparation time: 45 min
Broccoli florets - 2 cups, fresh or frozen
Olive oil - 3 tablespoons
Onion - 3/4 cup, 1/4-inch thick half-moon slices
Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
White mushrooms - 2 cups, 1/4-inch thick slices
Carrots - 1 cup, 1/4-inch thick slices
Red bell pepper - 1 cup, 1/4-inch thick slices
Chicken broth - 1 cup, unsalted
Cashew butter - 3 tablespoons
Lemon juice - 2 teaspoons
Dijon mustard - 1 teaspoon
Freshly ground black pepper
Zucchini - 1 pound, cut into long strands with a julienne peeler or mandolin
Method of Preparation:
1. Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring it to boil.
2. Add in the broccoli and cook 2 minutes. It should be tender-crisp. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet.
4. Throw in the onions and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the onions become soft.
5. Add in mushroom, carrot and pepper. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
6. Add in the broccoli and mix all well.
7. Now, bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.
8. Then, reduce the heat to low and whisk in the cashew butter until the mixture is smooth.
9. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper.
10. Gently toss with the vegetables.
11. In another skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add the zucchini. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
12. Add in 1 teaspoon lemon juice, salt and pepper.
13. Now, top the zucchini pasta with the vegetables and serve hot.
Taking care of the needs and changing habits of your consumers is one of the many tasks you have as a restauranteur. If you manage to do it well, customer loyalty will be guaranteed.